Private, Local Employers
Many local residents within the city of Davis and surrounding communities use Handshake to post tutoring, childcare/eldercare, manual labor, and other odd jobs.
After inputting your email address, you will get a prompt advising you to use a "company" email, but you can go ahead and sign up with a Gmail, Yahoo, or other 3rd party email. Under Job Title input Private Employer. Once you have signed up, you will receive an email to verify your information. Click on Confirm Email to finish the registration process.
Creating a Private, Local Employer Account:
- To begin creating your employer account you'll want to go to https://ucdavis.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new. You will need to associate an email address and create a password for the account. After inputting your email address, you will get a prompt advising you to use a "company" email address. A Gmail, Yahoo, or other 3rd party email address is allowable.
- In step 2, when asked for your "Job Title" enter "Private Employer".
- You may leave your "Alma Mater" and "Graduation Year" blank when prompted.
- Check your email inbox for a message from Handshake to confirm your email address. Be sure to check your junk or clutter email folder as well. Inside the email will be a link to continue the registration process. Click on the link to proceed to step 3.
- In step 3, when asked to "Join Company", choose "Create New Company". Your company name should be "Private Employer – Your first and last name".
- When asked for a website, if you do not have one, please feel free to use the ICC's website https://icc.ucdavis.edu/.
- In step 4, when asked to "Connect with Schools" search for "University of California Davis" and request to connect. This will notify ICC staff to approve your account.
- Once you receive approval from the ICC you may login to Handshake and create your job posting. Please see naming conventions below.
Naming Convention for Posting a Job Position:
Please use one of the following naming conventions for "Job Title" when creating your job posting:
- Gardening - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Housework - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Pet Care - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Tutor - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Childcare - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Caregiver - John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Elder Care -John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Special Needs Care -John Smith or Smith Family (example)
- Miscellaneous Help - or Smith Family (example)
Your request to connect with UC Davis will be reviewed within 5 business days. For assistance please email: email@example.com
UC Davis Departments
A majority of UC Davis departments are a part of a service channel that posts jobs for their department. Please do not request an account in Handshake if your student positions are posted by your service channel. Here are examples of the service channels:
- Shared Service Organization (SSO)
- Academic Unit Shared Service Center (AUSS-C)
- Distributed Service Channel (DiSSC)
- Health Service Channel (HSC)
If your department does not use one of these services channels for posting positions, here are guidelines about naming conventions:
When creating a UC Davis employer account please use the following naming convention:
- UC Davis and department name (ex. UC Davis History Department, UC Davis College of Engineering (COE))
The position the student is applying for and desired classification (STDT 2, 3 or 4) for example:
- Student Receptionist (STDT 2)
- Peer Advisor (STDT 3)
- Biomedical Engineering Lab Assistant (STDT 4).
If you are part of a service channel it is strongly encouraged that you put the department name in the job description. This will be one of the primary places students will see your department name.
For questions regarding Handshake naming conventions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org