Private, Local Employers
Many local residents within the city of Davis and surrounding communities use Handshake to post tutoring, childcare/eldercare, manual labor, and other odd jobs.
Using the above link, click on Sign up as an Employer. After inputting your email address, you will get a prompt advising you to use a "company" email, but you can go ahead and sign up with a Gmail, Yahoo, or other 3rd party email. Under Job Title input Private Employer. Once you have signed up, you will receive an email to verify your information. Click on Confirm Email to finish the registration process.
Naming Convention for Company Name:
When prompted to Join Company, choose Create New Company. Input your company name as "Private Employer-First name, Last name, Family" (for instance: Private Employer-Mary Smith Family).
After you have finished creating a company profile, you can connect with UC Davis in the "Schools" tab by searching for "University of California Davis".
Your request to connect with UC Davis will be reviewed within 5 business days.
Naming Convention for Posting a Job Position:
- When posting a position you will be prompted to input a Job Title. Please use the following titles as applicable to your job posting:
- Gardening-First Name, Last Name Family (example: Gardening-Mary Smith Family)
- Housework-First Name, Last Name Family
- Pet Care-First Name, Last Name Family
- Tutor-First Name, Last Name Family
- Childcare-First Name, Last Name Family
- Elder Care-First Name, Last Name Family
- Miscellaneous Help-First Name, Last Name Family
UC Davis Departments
A majority of UC Davis departments are a part of a service channel that posts jobs for their department. Please do not request an account in Handshake if your student positions are posted by your service channel. Here are examples of the service channels:
- Shared Service Organization (SSO)
- Academic Unit Shared Service Center (AUSS-C)
- Distributed Service Channel (DiSSC)
- Health Service Channel (HSC)
If your department does not use one of these services channels for posting positions, here are guidelines about naming conventions:
When creating a UC Davis employer account please use the following naming convention:
- UC Davis and department name (ex. UC Davis History Department, UC Davis College of Engineering (COE))
The position the student is applying for and desired classification (STDT 2, 3 or 4) for example:
- Student Receptionist (STDT 2)
- Peer Advisor (STDT 3)
- Biomedical Engineering Lab Assistant (STDT 4).
If you are part of a service channel it is strongly encouraged that you put the department name in the job description. This will be one of the primary places students will see your department name.
For questions regarding Handshake naming conventions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org