Internships at UC Davis are supervised work-learn experiences in a professional environment outside the classroom to help a student's academic and career goals.
- An internship requires a minimum 10-week quarter commitment and can span multiple quarters
- Internships are guided, supervised and evaluated by professionals
- To qualify for transcript notation, internships require a minimum of 40 hours per quarter
- Internships ideally are paid; however, if the internship is unpaid, duties may not replace those of paid employees
- Students are encouraged to complete the transcript notation process through Handshake to document that their experience has been reviewed and approved by the ICC
- Students may also choose to pursue academic credit. Academic credit requires a faculty sponsor. The ICC can assist getting students started with this process
- Students at all class levels are eligible to participate in internships, depending upon the requirements of the organization
The ICC follows NACE guidelines for best practices.
ICC-Supported Internship Listings
The most effective internship searches use a variety of different search strategies in common with a job search. Be persistent in your search, start early and regularly check in with your resources for updates and new opportunities.
These databases and programs are sponsored or maintained by the ICC to help Aggies find internships. For additional resources sign up for ICC email subscriptions.
Handshake is where UC Davis students and alumni connect with employers. Select "Jobs" from the tool bar then use the Filter button and select Internships to search for available internship opportunities.
- Health-Related Internships
The ICC helps place students in over 2,500 health-related internships each year at over 160 internship sites located in the Yolo-Sacramento county region, including the UC Davis Medical Center, Sutter hospitals in Davis and Sacramento, dental, optometry, and physical therapy offices, nutrition sites, pharmacies, and more.
- Teaching Assistant Internships
Internship listings are updated at the beginning of the school year with opportunities from local preschool, elementary, secondary, and related educational organizations.
- Vet Aide Internships
The ICC partners with the UC Davis Vet Aide Club to provide internships at the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.
- Central Valley Scholars Program
The Central Valley Scholars Program is a landmark partnership between UC Davis and Central Valley business leaders to build a pool of talented undergraduate students capable of driving the changes needed for a prosperous Central Valley.
Additional UC Programs
There are many additional internship resources maintained by UC Davis and the University of California you can take advantage of:
- University of California Washington Program
- UC Davis Study Abroad
- University of California Center Sacramento
- UC Davis Undergraduate Research Center
- Community Service Resource Center - volunteer opportunities
Advanced degree opportunities
Opportunities for Graduate students and Postdoctoral Scholars:
- Leaders for the Future
- Career Exploration for Biomedical Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars (FUTURE)
- Innovator Fellowship - Experiential Education with a Venture Capital Group - Innovation Institute for Food and Health
- UC Davis Trellis Fund
- Global Fellowships for Agricultural Development (GFAD)
Other Popular Job and Internship Boards
There are many websites that have job and internship listings not maintained by the ICC or UC Davis.