Watch this and other videos on our informational videos page. Check back often for new uploaded content.
What you wear to an interview makes a lasting impression. Although interview attire is a very personal matter, there are some general guidelines that can help you decide how best to present yourself.
We know that work environments differ greatly, so it's a good idea to start by looking at a company's website and social media to learn more about its culture. A good strategy is to dress one step above the formality of what's typical at that company. You can also watch the ICC's "How to Dress for Success" video for more ideas.
Here are some general tips to get you started:
- Wrinkle-free, lint-free, stain-free clothes
- Closed-toe heels/flats or dress shoes
- Be mindful of jewelry, piercings, and visible tattoos
- Do not wear fragrances - some interviewers may have allergies/sensitivities
- Do not chew gum during your interview
- Before the interview, turn off cell phone - not vibrate
- Have a couple options for interview outfits, in case you are invited for a second interview
Local resources for free/low cost clothes: