Get your internship documented on your transcript
If you're a UC Davis student working 40 hours or more per quarter in an approved and supervised internship, you can have your internship recorded on your transcript - what's known as "transcript notation."
Transcript notation includes the internship title, organization, and the specific quarter(s) that you participated. Transcript notation is free and:
- Helps you determine internship goals, duties, expectations.
- Documents your academically approved internship.
- Relates to employers and graduate schools your internship experiences.
- Prepares you for interviews by helping you recall examples of how your internship(s) influenced your professional growth.
Beginning of the Quarter
Within the first two weeks of your approved and supervised internship:
- Login to Handshake.
- From the Handshake home page, click the Career Center tab and select Experiences from the drop-down menu.
- From the Experiences page, select Request an Experience on the top right-hand side.
- Under Details, select your Experience Type. Then select the Term of your internship.
- Select your Employer's name. This field will auto populate in the system.
- Under Job, select the intern title that best fits your duties. Type your own if you do not see your job.
- Under Approvers, input your Supervisor's email address. Double check that the email address is correct, once it is submitted it cannot be changed.
- Make sure to complete all required information in the Request an Experience section. Some fields are not required and may not be applicable to your internship. It is ok to leave them blank.
- When you have completed all the required fields, click the Request Experience button at the bottom of the page.
During the Quarter
All internships require a timesheet documenting the days and hours you worked. Your internship supervisor will verify your hours at the conclusion of the internship. A hardcopy timesheet can be downloaded here.
During your internship, give your supervisor a heads-up that at the end of the quarter, they will need to complete the supervisor's evaluation that was emailed to them from Handshake.
After the Quarter
You will receive an email from Handshake with a link requesting you to Complete your Evaluation.
- Submit 3-8 detailed sentences of college level writing for each of the questions.
- Click Create an Evaluation when you complete the evaluation.
Make sure to upload your timesheet at the end of the quarter.
- Click on New Attachment within your Experiences record.
- Name it Completed Timesheet.
Remind your internship supervisor to complete the Supervisor's Evaluation that was emailed to them from Handshake.
When will I see it on my transcript?
To check if your notation has posted, log on to SISWeb to view your unofficial transcript three to six months after the internship has ended. Your transcript notation will appear in the comments section of your printed transcript.
If you plan to continue your internship for the next quarter and would like to receive transcript notation, complete this process again.
If you have questions about transcript notation or Handshake, visit our website. Stop by the second floor of South Hall. Also call 530-752-2855 to speak with an ICC staff member (Mon. - Fri., 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
For step-by-step instructions on how to complete the transcript notation process, view the student TN informational document. To record your internship work hours, use our provided timesheet document.
If your internship employer would like more information about the transcript notation process, please refer them to the employer transcript notation page.