Get your internship documented on your transcript
If you're a UC Davis student working in an internship that meets the following requirements you can have your internship recorded on your transcript - what's known as "transcript notation." In order to qualify, an internship must:
- Be 40 hours over a significant period of time, usually a ten week quarter
- Be supervised and evaluated by professionals and not fellow students
- Involve significant activities, assignments and/or projects
Transcript notation includes the internship title, organization, and the specific quarter(s) on the comments section of your transcript Transcript notation is free and:
- Helps you determine internship goals, duties, expectations.
- Documents your academically approved internship.
- Relays your internship experiences to employers and graduate schools.
- Prepares you for interviews by helping you recall examples of how your internship(s) influenced your professional growth.
Beginning of the Quarter
Within the first two weeks of your approved and supervised internship:
- Login to Handshake.
- From the Handshake home page, click the Career Center tab and select Experiences from the drop-down menu.
- From the Experiences page, select Request an Experience on the top right-hand side.
- Under Details, select your Experience Type. Then select the Term of your internship.
- Enter your Employer's name. This field may auto populate in the system. The Employer's name is the name of the company or organization.
- Under Job, select the intern title that best fits your duties. Type your own if you do not see your job.
- Under Approvers, input your Supervisor's email address. Supervisors must be a professional and cannot be a fellow undergraduate student. Double check that the email address is correct, once it is submitted it cannot be changed.
- Make sure to complete all required information in the Request an Experience section. Some fields are not required and may not be applicable to your internship. It is ok to leave them blank.
- When you have completed all the required fields, click the Request Experience button at the bottom of the page.
During the Quarter
All internships require a timesheet documenting the days and hours you worked. Your internship supervisor will verify your hours at the conclusion of the internship. A hardcopy timesheet can be downloaded here.
During your internship, give your supervisor a heads-up that at the end of the quarter, they will need to complete the supervisor's evaluation that was emailed to them from Handshake.
End of the Quarter
You will receive an email from Handshake with a link requesting you to Complete your Evaluation. Your Handshake experience is due on the last day of finals for the quarter you participated in your internship.
- Submit 3-8 detailed sentences of college level writing for each of the questions.
- Click Create an Evaluation when you complete the evaluation.
Make sure to upload your signed timesheet at the end of the quarter.
- Click on New Attachment within your Experiences record.
- Name it Completed Timesheet. Keep a copy for your own record.
Remind your internship supervisor to complete the Supervisor's Evaluation that was emailed to them from Handshake. Encourage them to check their junk folder if they cannot find the Handshake email in their inbox.
Your student final evaluation, timesheet, and supervisor evaluation are due by the last day of finals during the academic quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring) that you are requesting transcript notation. For internships during summer, transcript notation is due by the last day of Summer Session II.
The Internship and Career Center (ICC) requires all documents to be fully completed and included in your Handshake experience for our team to complete your transcript notation request.
When will I see my internship on my transcript?
After the end of the quarter that you have requested transcript notation, the ICC team will review your Handshake experience. Check in Handshake for the status of your request. A "pending" or "approved" status means your proposal is being reviewed. "Completed" means the ICC team is in the process of adding the experience to your transcript. If your transcript notation request has been declined, review the comments section of the experience to find detailed feedback from our team.
To check if your notation has been posted, log on to MyUCDavis to view your unofficial transcript three to six months after your Handshake experience has been completed. Your transcript notation will appear in the comments section of your transcript. From the MyUCDavis homepage, your unofficial transcript can be viewed under Academics > Student Records > Academics > Unofficial Transcript.
If you plan to continue your internship for multiple quarters and would like to receive transcript notation, submit a new experience for each quarter.
If your internship employer would like more information about the transcript notation process, please refer them to the employer transcript notation page.
If you are unable to locate emails from Handshake, check your junk folder and Handshake settings.