Health-related internships are work-learning experiences in a professional health environment where students can explore career areas in the ﬁeld of health, gain practical skills, and make industry contacts. These internships allow students to explore the various specialities related to human health. Students are guided, supervised, and evaluated by health industry professionals. At UC Davis, health-related internships require a minimum 4 hour time commitment per week, for a ten week duration.
How to Find Health-Related Internships
- Health-Related Internships (HRI) online sign-up system - The ICC maintains a internship database and helps place students in over 1,000 health-related internships each year at over 160 internship sites located in the Yolo-Sacramento county region, including UC Davis Health in Sacramento, Sutter hospitals in Davis and Sacramento, dental, optometry, and physical therapy offices, nutrition sites, pharmacies, and more (note: the number of internships and sites available has been greatly reduced due to COVID-19)..
- ICC email subscriptions - Join the weekly email newsletter for Health and Biological Sciences for announcements about internship opportunities.
- UC Davis Student-Run Clinics - These local community clinics are sponsored by the UC Davis School of Medicine and operated by healthcare professionals and medical students.
- CommuniCare Health Centers - A nonprofit organization of seven community clinics for Davis and surrounding areas. Visit their website to view the volunteer application.
- California Hospital List -This is a list of California hospitals, sorted by city. We cannot guarantee that these hospitals will take volunteers, but they are listed here for you as a resource. In your search, attempt to contact the volunteer services or the hospital auxillary services departments.
- If you are interested in volunteering at a clinic, using the following search term online: "community clinics in 'city name' " e.g., "community clinics in San Jose".
Other Information to Consider
- Immunizations - All hospital internships require proof of immunizations. Learn more about common immunization requirements and begin preparing your immunization records early.
- Causeway Connection Bus Service - Undergraduate students can ride this bus between UC Davis and UC Davis Health in Sacramento for free with a valid student ID card. The Causeway Connection bus has replaced the intercampus shuttle.
- Transcript Notation - Many health-related internships qualify for transcript notation (TN). Learn more about the process of applying for TN.