Health-related internships are work-learning experiences in a professional health environment where students can explore career areas in the ﬁeld of health, gain practical skills, and make industry contacts. These internships allow students to explore the various specialities related to human health. Students are guided, supervised, and evaluated by health industry professionals. At UC Davis, health-related internships require a minimum 4 hour time commitment per week, for a ten week duration.
How to Find Health-Related Internships
- Health-Related Internships (HRI) online sign-up system - The ICC maintains a internship database and helps place students in over 2,500 health-related internships each year at over 160 internship sites located in the Yolo-Sacramento county region, including UC Davis Health in Sacramento, Sutter hospitals in Davis and Sacramento, dental, optometry, and physical therapy offices, nutrition sites, pharmacies, and more.
- ICC email subscriptions - Join the weekly email list for Health and Biological Sciences for announcements about internship opportunities.
- UC Davis Student-Run Clinics - These local community clinics are sponsored by the UC Davis School of Medicine and operated by healthcare professionals and medical students.
- CommuniCare Health Centers - A nonprofit organization of seven community clinics for Davis and surrounding areas. Visit their website to view the volunteer application.
- Shriner's Hospital for Children - This Sacramento-based hospital is owned by the charitable Shriner's organization and serves a pediatric patient population.
Other Information to Consider
- Immunizations - All hospital internships require proof of immunizations. Learn more about common immunization requirements and begin preparing your immunization records early.
- Causeway Connection Bus Service - Undergraduate students can ride this bus between UC Davis and UC Davis Health in Sacramento for free with a valid student ID card. The Causeway Connection bus has replaced the intercampus shuttle.
- Transcript Notation - Many health-related internships qualify for transcript notation (TN). Learn more about the process of applying for TN.