The media and communication industry informs and connects people around the world through a variety of means including telecommunications, television and radio broadcasting, video production, social media and publishing. These means of communication are used for marketing, public relations, informing the public and entertainment. Due to the variety of formats and purposes of the communications industry, there are a wide variety of options for those interested in providing messages and information to the public. You can build the skills needed to pursue a communications or media career through hands-on experience beyond the classroom. It is best to find a career that will fit your own unique interests, skills, and values.
Some possible job titles include:
- Advertising Account Representative
- Public Relations Coordinator
- Publishing Editorial Assistant
- Technical Writer
- Broadcast Programming Coordinator
- Copy Writer
- Social Media Marketing Manager
Areas of Interest
The Occupational Outlook Handbook provides detailed information about career options in media, communication and advertising.
If you have an interest in communications careers, you might also be interested in exploring careers in business, education and teaching, counseling and social services, government, international opportunities and nonprofit.
Joining professional associations related to the industry you are interested in provides access to professionals in the field, and networking opportunities which can lead to potential jobs and internships. Many national associations have state and local chapters you can join. Involvement in associations can also provide you insider updates on industry trends and best practices. One of the best ways to identify relevant associations is to search for them online, but we have provided some resources below to get you started. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.
- Alliance for Community Media
- Alliance for Women in Media
- American Marketing Association Central Valley
- California Association of Public Information Officials
- California Broadcasters Association
- Capitol Film Arts Alliance
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Northern California Filmmakers Coalition
- Sacramento Ad Club
- Sacramento Press Club
- Sacramento Public Relations Association
- Sacramento Video Industry Professionals
- Social Media Club
- Society for Technical Communication
- Society of Broadcast Engineers
- Society of Professional Journalists
Visit the ICC and Meet with an Advisor
For further guidance narrowing down your career interests, you can schedule an advising appointment. Our advising page has a list of all ICC advisors or you can review the list of undergraduate advisors below: