Graduate Student Career Development Assistance Award
An unpaid internship fund for UC Davis graduate students
A new $500 award available to a current UC Davis graduate student who completed an unpaid internship in support of their career development goals between June 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020. Remote internships qualify.
- Internship was a supervised work-learn experience in a professional environment outside the classroom in support of a graduate student's career goals. (See UC Davis internship policies for details).
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled as a master's, PhD, or EdD student as of Winter Quarter 2021. Students enrolled in professional degree programs (e.g. MBA, DVM, MD) are not eligible.
- Internship took place while the applicant was a current UC Davis master's, PhD, or EdD student.
- Internship was unpaid, not required part of the applicant's graduate program, and not used primarily to conduct dissertation or thesis research.
- Short answer application. See questions below. (Submit here: Qualtrics application form)
- CV or Resume. (Submit here: Box file upload)
Title your CV or Resume "Lastname_Firstname" before uploading. PDF or Word doc recommended.
Deadline: 5pm PST Friday, January 15, 2021
Additional details will be added below.
Questions: Email Bethany Hopkins at email@example.com
Offered by the UC Davis Internship and Career Center, made possible with support from the UC Davis GradPathways Institute for Professional Development.
Short-answer application questions (1250-character limit each)
- Describe your internship experience, including role and the organization/company, approximate hours per week worked, and start and end dates.
- How did doing this internship experience support your career development goals?
- What did you learn from this internship experience?
- How would receiving this monetary award assist you?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Content last updated December 21, 2020.
- I am a first-year UC Davis graduate student who did an unpaid summer internship before my first fall quarter in graduate school at UC Davis-- am I eligible for this award?
- No, the internship experience needs to have taken place while you were a current UC Davis graduate student, not before. For first-year graduate students who started at UC Davis in Fall quarter 2020, this means the internship must have taken place during that fall quarter.
For ongoing UC Davis graduate students (current students as of Spring quarter 2020 or before), Summer 2020 internships are eligible. In this instance, you do not need to have been enrolled in courses that summer to qualify.
- Can international students graduate students apply for this award?
- Most international graduate students (with few exceptions) can apply for this award. International students are responsible for making sure their internship complies with the appropriate work authorization guidelines for their visa status (e.g., CPT). Contact SISS for additional questions on work authorization.
For more detailed questions, email Bethany Hopkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can undocumented graduate students apply for this award?
- Undocumented graduate students with AB540 status are eligible to apply. All graduate students with California Dream Act Applications or FAFSA on file with UC Davis may be eligible to apply -- further updates will be added to this page.
- My unpaid position was not called an "internship" but I think it still qualifies --can I still apply?
- Yes, you may apply as long as your experience meets the eligibility criteria above. See UC Davis internship policies and NACE internship criteria for more detailed descriptions of internship experiences.
- What should go on my CV or resume for this application?
- Other than the internship experience, the content of your CV or resume is up to you. See the ICC website for resume and CV examples.