Recruitment of Non UC Student Assistant (STDT 2 - 4) Positions

  • The department shall first give hiring priority to UC students prior to employing a non-UCD student. Exception will only be granted when the department has provided justification based on University need.
  • To recruit non UC college students from a higher education (2 year/4 year) institution that offers degree programs (i.e. Associates, Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates) the student positions (including ASUCD) must be listed with the campus Student Employment office.
  • Departments list jobs for two weeks. Student Employment may waive this step for off-campus departments.
  • If qualified UC students do not apply, departments may submit a Non-UC recruitment request to Student Employment.
    • If Student Employment approves the hiring of a non-UC student, the department may recruit students from four-year colleges or two-year Community/Junior Colleges. Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program and carrying at least six units.
    • With approval from Student Employment, departments may publicize hard-to-fill vacancies with leaflets, posters, or email. The publicity must be approved byStudent Employment.
    • Exception to the two-week posting period may be granted in the followingsituations; however, active simultaneous UC recruitment should continue:
      • Special programs funded by Grants allowing the employment of non UC students.
      • Departments withremote field sites.
    • The following exceptions require that 75% of available positions must be filled by UC students, leaving 25% of the positions available for non UC Students:
      • Approved Department partnership with a non UC college
      • Departments with a position listing ten or more available vacancies
      • Departments demonstrating difficulty in filling a particular position with UC students
  • Students contact the department directly to apply for the job.
  • The department selects the applicant who can perform the duties of the position most effectively.
  • The department identifies candidate and submits the information for final approval from Student Employment.
  • The applicant accepts the position.The department enters the hire in the payroll/personnel system.