Looking for a job beyond academia, but don't know where to start?
This comprehensive, one-day workshop is designed to give graduate students and postdoctoral scholars the basic tools to conduct an effective job search for industry, non-profit and/or government sector positions.
Workshop topics include: identifying your transferable skills, developing a target company list, preparing your personal “pitch”, conducting an informational interview, using social media (LinkedIn) for networking and job search, tailoring your cover letter and resume, and more.
8:30-9:30am Getting Started
• Career planning (life-long learning process) + Planned happenstance
• Self-reflection & self-assessment (transferable skills, values, interests)
• Resources (VPhD, myidpsciencecareers.org, CA Career Zone)
9:30-10:20am Job Search Strategies
• What to search
• Where to search
• How to search (creating a target company list)
10:30-11:40am Personal Power Statements and Networking
• Networking (barriers, exercise, guidelines, brain storming matrix, networking questions)
• 30-second self-introduction (aka elevator pitch) exercise